Thursday, December 31, 2009

Christmas leftovers

As usual, I cooked way more turkey on Christmas Day than we needed, because I love having leftovers. Most of this has been eaten on sandwiches with a generous amount of my homemade cranberry sauce. With the last bit left over, I thought it was best to serve it hot as it was by then a few days old, so I chose the recipe below from Nigella Christmas. 'Twas good.

I changed the quantities of egg, sour cream and stock. I made up 1/4 cup of chicken stock, with the intention of measuring out 30ml, but got distracted and poured the lot in, so ended up adding an extra egg and a bit more sour cream. Those quantities worked quite well though, I thought.

Ed Victor's Turkey Hash
Serves 2 as a main, or 4 with green salad and a baked potato
  • 50g flaked almonds, toasted
  • 30ml olive oil
  • 15g butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 capsicum, deseeded and chopped into pieces approx. 1 x 2cm
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 250g turkey breast, shredded
  • 75g pitted black olives
  • 30ml sour cream (I added about 45ml)
  • 30ml leftover turkey stock (I used 1/4 cup chicken stock)
  • 1 egg (I used 2 eggs)
  • few dashes of Tabasco sauce, or to taste (I omitted this)
  • 75g flaked Parmesan
  • chopped flat-leaf parsley, to garnish (optional)
Heat the butter and in a pan and add the onions and capsicum. Stir over a medium to low heat for about 10 minutes. Stir in the garlic, then stir through the turkey and cook until piping hot. Add the almonds and olives and stir through.

Whisk together the egg, sour cream, and stock. Pour into the pan and give a quick to stir to combine along with the Tobasco sauce. Add the Parmesan and stir until starting to melt. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve.





No comments:

Post a Comment